Practical use of Supplemental Package (VF):
Replace selected Frames in an IMF package or DCP with easyDCP Creator+
Imagine the following situation:
- The original version (OV) of a DCP or IMF package has already been delivered to the cinema or studio.
- Now certain frames need to be replaced (here: video frames from #280 to #329 of reel #1)
- There is now time to produce a corrected DCP or IMP package.
HINTS: The solution lies in the usage of small supplemental packages, also known as version files. It is very similar for DCPs and IMF packages.
AND: The replacement of frames is very similar for video and audio
To replace certain frames in a DCP or IMF package, just follow these steps:
- Load the DCP or IMF package in easyDCP Creator+.
- To create a supplemental package, right-click on a track and choose "Supplemental > Enable for all Tracks":
Info: All tracks should be greyed out now, which means that they are just referenced and not included in the new supplemental package:
- Move the playhead to the first frame you want to replace (here: frame #280). Then click on the scissors to split the reel/sequence:
Info: A reel should automatically be added to the composition (here: reel #2).
- Now move the playhead to the next frame after the last frame you want to replace (here: frame #330). Then click on the scissors to split the reel/sequence:
Info: A reel should automatically be added to the composition (here: reel #3).
- Add your supplemental frames as a new track and drop it onto the reel that contains the frames to be replaced (here: reel #2):
- Don't forget to rename the composition according to the "OV" to "VF-1".
- Generate the new package.
The result is a DCP or IMF package with a new composition that replaces the desired frames. In case of supplemental, please note that a supplemental package is not self-contained, which means that it must be loaded together with the OV track files in order to play correctly.
If it becomes necessary to create another Supplemental DCP / IMF package, load the Supplemental DCP / IMF package that has already been created and proceed on the basis of the previously created supplementals exactly as you have done before.
s For later use in the cinema or on Netflix both supplementals in the correct order are necessary. The naming convention provides for consecutive numbering VF-1, VF-2 and so on.
Creation of Supplementals is only supported in easyDCP Creator+. This template was created with easyDCP Creator+ / Player+ Version 3.5.8. Previous versions may not yet include this feature, but newer versions may run slightly differently.
Easy, fast and reliable packaging:
Convert a supplemental package (VF) into a new standalone package (OV) with easyDCP
Imagine the following situation:
- The original version (OV) of a DCP or IMF package as well as an additional version file (VF) have already been generated and work flawlessly.
- Now, from the VF, which works in the studio or cinema only together with the OV, a new independent and self-contained OV shall be generated, so that only this single package must be transferred or ingested and so errors are avoided.
- The generation should be easy, quick and without re-encoding. Important metadata such as offset / entry point and duration remain the same.
- The use of supplemental packages is very similar for DCPs and IMF packages.
- Also works with encrypted packages.
- Easy, fast and reliable packaging through exported project files from the easyDCP Player+.
To convert a VF as well as the data from the associated OV to a new standalone OV, follow these steps:
- First, download your OV and the VF in easyDCP Player+. In the opened playlist, you can recognize the identical file name, which references the VF files from the OV (here: OV contains picture and sound tracks, VF only contains the subtitle track):
- Now open the Export Wizard via "Asset | Export ", select "Unwrap DCP and create easyDCP project":
- Start the export by clicking on "Next" and "Export". After exporting, open the project file created by the easyDCP Player+ in the easyDCP Creator+ with the button "Open project in easyDCP Creator+":
- Make sure that in the easyDCP Creator+ under "Options | Package Generation" the option "Force re-encoding of JPEG 2000 codestreams" is deactivated to avoid time-consuming coding again:
- Do not forget to change the CPL title from "VF" to "OV":
- Finally, generate the new OV package as usual by clicking on "Generate Package". When you open the new OV package in the easyDCP Player for checking purposes, you can see that it now contains all the tracks itself needed for the playback (here: picture, sound and subtitles):
This template was created with easyDCP Player+ / Creator+ Version 3.6.2. Previous versions may not yet include this feature, but in newer versions, the process may be slightly different.